Our body goes through changes as we age. Along with this is the change in our metabolism and nutrient absorption. Seniors are prone to gaining weight as they easily absorb excess fat. However, they are often still malnourished as they find it difficult to absorb certain nutrients. This is why, as a provider of skilled nursing in Texas, we always prioritize the nutrition of our senior patients.
Here are some of the essential vitamins and nutrients seniors need:
- Calcium and vitamin D to maintain their bone health
- Vitamin B12 as they find this difficult to absorb and may not have enough in their systems
- Dietary Fiber to help lower the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes
- Potassium to lower the risk of high blood pressure
- Healthy fats from nuts, seeds, avocados, vegetable oils, and fish
It would be beneficial to have your home care provider incorporate food with these vitamins and nutrients into your senior loved one’s diet. You can also ask your doctor about possible supplements they could recommend.
Are you in need of home health care in San Antonio, Texas who can help you with meal preparation? Come on over to All Seasons Home Health and Palliative Care. We can assist you through your daily tasks and ensure your well-being.
We provide various services such as physical therapy, speech therapy, rehabilitation, skilled nursing, and others.